Criminal Records Division
The Criminal Records Division contains 11 employees which include records staff, receptionist, and S.T.A.R reporters.
The Sumter County Sheriff's Office Records Division is responsible for processing and managing a vast number of records and reports for the agency. When deputies submit their daily reports and information, the Records Division performs data entry and case tracking, providing the courts, government agencies and other lawfully permitted parties with the necessary facts and information related to an event. The Records Division also performs local records checks on individuals and processes requests for traffic crashes, incident reports and submits Uniform Crime Reports (UCR) data to the FBI for statistical information for the State of Florida.
The Sumter County Sheriff's Office has two physical records locations to best serve the citizens of Sumter County, or you can submit your request online below.
Online Records Request
Records requests can be fulfilled in person at one of our two locations:
7361 Powell Rd, Wildwood, FL 34785
250 E McCollum Ave, Bushnell, FL 33513
Victims and those involved in traffic crashes can also obtain copies of reports at our Villages Annex located at:
8033 E CR 466, Lady Lake, 32159
Contacting the Records Division
You may reach the Records Division by:
Phone: (352) 569-1600
Mail: Sumter County Sheriff's Office,
Attention: Records Division, 7361 Powell Rd, Wildwood, FL 34785
Be advised, under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.
Public Records Fees/Costs
Those seeking public records will be charged a prepayment fee of the actual cost of making the copies, which is permissible by law. Fees (subject to change) are as follows:
- Paper copies - $0.15 per page
- Double-sided copies-$0.20 per page
- Certified copies-$1.00 per copy
- Downloaded computer files to a compact disc - $10.00 per disc
- Postage fees when applicable are also assessed
- Extensive requests*
* For requests that require research of archived reports and/or multiple records requests or those requiring and extensive use of technology an hourly charge may also be imposed. The current rate is $15.93 an hour.
Incident, arrest, and calls for service
Copies incident reports, arrest reports, and calls for service and 911 calls can be conducted through the Criminal Records Division and will be fulfilled in accordance with Ch. 119 FS.
Please note that some types of information filed with the Sheriff's Office cannot be accessed while the cases are pending adjudication through the courts and/or are subject to confidentiality laws or exemptions.
Traffic Crash Reports
Per Florida Statute Section 316.066, traffic crash reports are not a public record under the provisions of Florida Statute Section 119.07 for a period of 60 days after the date the report is filed with the following exceptions:
- The parties involved
- Their legal representatives
- Their licensed insurance agents
- Their insurers;
- Persons under contract with such insurer to provide claims or underwriting information;
- Prosecutorial authorities
- Radio and television stations licensed by the FCC;
- Newspapers qualified to publish legal notices and free newspapers of general circulation, published once a week or more often, available and of interest to the public generally for the dissemination of news. For the purpose of Florida Statute Section 316.066, the following products are NOT qualifying newspapers: those intended primarily for members of a particular profession or occupational group; those with the primary purpose of distributing advertising; those with the primary purpose of publishing names and other personally identifying information concerning parties to motor vehicle crashes;
- State and Federal Agencies authorized to have access to such reports by any provision of the law.
The State of Florida requires anyone requesting a traffic crash report within the first 60 days of its occurrence to complete an affidavit specifying why they are entitled to the report and that the information contained in the report will not be used for commercial solicitation. A separate affidavit must be completed for each traffic crash report request.
**Obtaining confidential information by someone who knows they are not entitled to do so is a felony violation
To obtain a copy of a crash report through DHSMV's online portal please visit www.FloridaCrashPortal.gov
**Please note this is a 3rd party provider
Local Background Checks
Local Sumter County background checks are performed free of charge, however, they only cover arrests occurring in Sumter County from 2009-to present date.
Sumter County Sheriff's Office locations:
7361 Powell Rd, Wildwood, Fl 34785 OR 250 E McCollum Ave, Bushnell, Florida 33513
For information on how to obtain statewide and nationwide criminal history information visit the Florida Division of Law Enforcement Criminal History site.
S.T.A.R. (Sheriff's Telephone Automated Reporting)
Currently, the STAR program has 6 employees, who work within the records division. STAR operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Deputies/detectives have the ability to phone in reports to the operator while they are in the field. This program helps reduce the amount of time a deputy spends working on their computer and helps ensure more accurate UCR reporting.