Communications Officer II
Description : Compensation
This is a responsible position which, under direct supervision, received requests and dispatches appropriate emergency units in response to all calls for service.
- Dispatch Law Enforcement assignments and other official messages via the Law Enforcement radio or telephone.
- Properly fulfill requests from law enforcement personnel regarding support services such as rescue and EMS units, fire apparatus, wreckers, etc.
- Maintain complete and current status of all on-duty deputies indicating their locations and activities.
- Monitor, evaluate and dispatch all assigned calls for service in a timely manner with appropriate response.
- Provide deputies and supervisors with requested information whenever possible.
- Be alert for radio traffic and situations concerning officer safety and take action to ensure the proper response.
- Maintain cleanliness and operational readiness of assigned work area and equipment.
- Maintain all radio and phone communications in an efficient, courteous and professional manner.
- Become familiar with the boundaries of Sumter County and become familiar with the proper names, numbers and locations of roadways, public buildings, hospitals, and so forth.
- Become familiar with Florida State Statutes, Department Standard Operating Procedures and other pertinent reference material pertaining to assistance in calls for service, proper responses and officer safety issues.
- Assist in the equipment maintenance of the Communications Division and immediately report all malfunctions and failures.
- Be able to perform all duties required for Communications Calltaker and Communications Teletype Operation when situations require.
- Be alert for conditions or situations which inhibit the efficient operation of the Agency or the Communications Division and make recommendations for solutions.
- Perform any additional duties that may be required by the Sheriff or through necessity of situations
- High School diploma or GED.
- Ability to speak and enunciate the English language clearly.
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations and remain calm during emergencies.
- Ability to maintain records.
- Have a pleasant and well-modulated voice.
- Ability to effectively communicate information both orally and in writing.
- Normal hearing ability.
- Ability to follow instructions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively and determine proper course of action and response
- Prior dispatcher experience preferred but not required.
- Maintain complete FCIC teletype certification.
- Successful completion of the Communications Law Dispatcher on-the-job training program.
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
Work is performed in an enclosed area with background noise from radios, telephones, teletype machines and other equipment. Shift work is required, including nights, weekends and holidays. Required to work overtime when necessary, sometimes on short notice. Subject to possible verbal abuse from
complainants and frequent exposure to traumatic situations.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled